Clean drinking water is one of the most important issues we face every day…whether we are in an emergency situation or simply in every day life. We can go about 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water.
People consider the issue of water purification primarily for emergency situations but any water you drink these days (including even tap & bottled water) the question of whether or not it is pure clean water and safe to drink will come into play.
Using chlorine or hydrogen peroxide to purify water may kill the bacteria in the water but it doesn’t actually make it safe to drink. These chemicals are quite toxic to the human body and cause all sorts of internal problems.
Did you know:
Chlorinated water can destroy polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E in the body while generating toxins capable of free radical damage (oxidation). This might explain why supplementation of the diet with essential fatty acids like flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil and antioxidants like vitamin E, selenium and others helps so many cases of eczema and dry skin.
Chlorinated water destroys much of the intestinal flora, the friendly bacteria that help in the digestion of food and which protects the body from harmful pathogens. These bacteria are also responsible for the manufacture of several important vitamins like vitamin B12 and vitamin K. Killing beneficial intestinal flora can lead to yeast infections, candida, and leaky gut.
It is also not uncommon for chronic skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema to clear up or to be significantly improved by switching to unchlorinated drinking water and supplementing the diet with lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus.
Chlorinated water contains chemical compounds called trihalomethanes which are carcinogens resulting from the combination of chlorine with compounds in water. These chemicals, also known as organochlorides, do not degrade very well and are generally stored in the fatty tissues of the body (breast, other fatty areas, mother’s milk, blood and semen). Organochlorides can cause mutations by altering DNA, suppress immune system function and interfere with the natural controls of cell growth.
Chlorine has been documented to aggravate asthma, especially in those children who make use of chlorinated swimming pools.
Several studies also link chlorine and chlorinated by-products to a greater incidence of bladder, breast and bowel cancer as well as malignant melanoma. One study even links the use of chlorinated tap water to congenital cardiac anomalies.
Fackelman, K.A., Hints of a chlorine-cancer connection. Science News; Flaten, T.P., Chlorination of drinking water and cancer incidence in Norway. International Journal of Epidermiology; Messina V., Chlorine and cancer. Good Medicine
Below are five safe non-toxic methods of purifying water during emergency situations, outside of boiling water, if you didn’t have access to a heat source to boil your water.
Stabilized Oxygen Water Purification Drops
Superior to chlorine or hydrogen peroxide, Stabilized Oxygen Water Purification Drops are not only safe and non-toxic…they are actually good for you! Oxygen destroys harmful bacteria and cleans poisons out of the system. Because Stabilized Oxygen Water Purification Drops are completely non-toxic, unlike chlorine and hydrogen peroxide, they can be used medicinally and you can drink them in water to prevent illness. Stabilized Oxygen Water Purification Drops can also be used topically on wounds, to kill harmful bacteria. They are an ideal item for your emergency medical kit.
Stabilized Oxygen Water Purification Drops eliminates harmful bacteria while leaving beneficial bacteria intact, and eliminates toxins, germs, and viruses. A 2 ounce bottle will purify up to 55 gallons of water. ANY water source in the world can be made safe for consumption.
Simply add twenty drops of stabilized oxygen to one gallon of water.
Add 100 drops to every 5 gallons
The bottles are small and take up little size or weight and are great to fit easily into your go bag.
Ultraviolet (UV) Water Disinfection
Ultraviolet (UV) water disinfection is another great chemical free method that kills both bacteria and viruses. Using ultraviolet (UV) light for drinking water disinfection dates back to 1916 in the U.S. and today many water treatment facilities in the U.S. are implementing UV as the primary water disinfection treatment of choice. UV water treatment works quickly and, in terms of primary energy use, is approximately 20,000 times more efficient than boiling water.
How it works is the UVrays kill bacteria and viruses by rearranging their genetic material (DNA and RNA) so that they can no longer replicate or viral load making them inert and no longer capable of causing disease. Even parasites such as Cryptosporidia or Giardia, which are extremely resistant to chemical disinfectants, are efficiently reduced.
Water first needs to be pre-filtered though for UV disinfection to work properly. If there are a lot of particles in the water, the microorganisms buried within particles are shielded from the UV light and don’t get disinfected. The clearer the water the better the light transmittance and the higher the UV dose throughout the water.
You can use Ultraviolet (UV) water disinfection by a couple of methods.
One method is with a UV light that you can submerse directly into your filtered drinking water as shown in the picture above.
Another method is using the UV rays from sunlight to do this. For this I would suggest either using a glass bottle or, if you do use plastic, to use a bottle made out of Tritan Copolyester so that the toxic chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the water from the heat from the sun and UV rays themselves. Using just any old plastic water bottle can release a lot of toxic chemicals into the water so this is not advised.
You would place the bottle in direct sunlight. On a sunny day the water would be disinfected in about 6 hours, if more than half the sky is covered by clouds you would need to expose the bottle to the sun for at least two days. But remember to thoroughly filter the water so there are no particles in there that would block the UV rays.
LifeSaver Water Bottles
This is an AMAZING water filtration bottle that filters out even nanoparticle sized viruses! There are a few travel bottles on the market designed with filters that remove bacteria and chemicals but this is the first one I’ve seen that filters out viruses too.
Check out the video below for a demonstration of the LIFESAVER® water filtration bottle by the inventor, Michael Pritchard.
The LifeSaver Bottle comes as a sports bottle style as shown above and then there’s also a larger jerry can style that will filter about 20,000 liters of water without the aid of chemicals.
Both styles filter out both bacteria and viruses….not just bacteria so you can feel safe that you’re drinking completely clean pure water in any situation.
The sports bottle size would fit easily into a go bag and the jerry can size would be great just to keep in your car.
Berkey Water Filtration Bottles
Berkey water filtration systems are probably the most well known brand in the emergency preparedness world.
The Go Berkey system for traveling removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes. It also reduces unhealthy heavy metals such as lead and mercury. This system is so powerful it can remove red food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs.
It doesn’t remove viruses though…unlike the LifeSaver Bottle. But it’s a LOT less expensive for the Go Berkey system than the LifeSaver ($139 vs. $245) and adding a few drops of stabilized oxygen drops to the filtered water would kill any viruses solving that issue…but you have less things to pack with the LifeSaver Bottle…so those are the considerations between the two.
The larger Berkey filters DO filter out viruses so if you’re sheltering in then the Big Berkey Filters are a great option for the money.
But what if there was no water around to filter? This is a scenario that could happen. Even if you had the greatest water filtration systems in the world it wouldn’t help you if there was no water around to filter. One option is to store water, which takes up a LOT of space that you could be using for other things like supplies, food or garden space.
Atmospheric water generators
An even better option is to generate water out of the humidity in the air. Atmospheric water generators produce safe, clean, pure sparkling water out of the humidity in the air.
Water extracted from the moisture in the air is already relatively “clean” when compared to many other traditional water sources. But, in order to make it pristine, it is still run through 11-12 different filtration processes (depending on which model you purchase).
They have solar, wind, and gas-powered generator power options so that if there was no electricity it can still generate about 8 gallons of water per day ensuring clean drinkable water for you and your family at all times.
This option is more for sheltering in. Atmospheric water generators are the size of a water cooler so they wouldn’t fit too well in your car but if you had to shelter in and there was no traditional water source available this would solve that issue.
So these are five completely safe non-toxic ways to purify water in an emergency situation without using harmful chemicals. Just because you might be in a disastrous situation doesn’t mean you have to drink toxic chemically laden water…that would just be postponing getting sick immediately for getting sick down the road.
You can still take care of yourself and your loved ones in a crisis or disaster and stay healthy at the same time. Drinking safe non-toxic water is available in many options.
Add Me as a Friend on Facebook CLICK HERE!