One of the major concerns with survival preparation is having extra supplies of medications and first aid items on hand. Stocking up on prescription medications necessitates having a doctor that will give you extra prescriptions….which you may or may not have access to.
If you find yourself in a situation where you do not have access to necessary pharmaceuticals it is easy to become panicked. The good news is that there are a lot of great alternatives to traditional medications that can be just as effective and quite a bit less toxic to your body than the traditional drugs your doctor has prescribed. I have used natural alternative medicine my entire life as a first resort and traditional medical treatment as a last resort and can say from multiple experiences these natural remedies really work!
This article is primarily about natural antibiotics, pain killers and anti-inflammatories.
Silver has been used For thousands of years as a healing agent by civilizations throughout the world. Its medical, preservative and restorative powers can be traced as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman Empires. Long before the development of modern pharmaceuticals, silver was employed as a germicide.
Consider these interesting facts:
• The Greeks used silver vessels to keep water and other liquids fresh. The writings of Herodotus, the Greek philosopher and historian, date the use of silver to before the birth of Christ.
• The Roman Empire stored wine in silver urns to prevent spoilage.
• The use of silver is mentioned in ancient Egyptian writings.
• In the Middle Ages, silverware protected the wealthy from the full brunt of the plague.
• Before the advent of modern germicides and antibiotics, it was known that disease-causing pathogens could not survive in the presence of silver. Consequently, silver was used in dishware, drinking vessels and eating utensils.
• In particular, the wealthy stored and ate their food from silver vessels to keep bacteria from growing.
• The Chinese emperors and their courts ate with silver chopsticks.
• The Druids have left evidence of their use of silver.
• Settlers in the Australian outback suspend silverware in their water tanks to retard spoilage.
• Pioneers trekking across the American West found that if they placed silver or copper coins in their casks of drinking water, it kept the water safe from bacteria, algae, etc.
• All along the frontier, silver dollars were put in milk to keep it fresh. Some of us remember our grandparents doing the same.
• Silver leaf was used to combat infection in wounds sustained by troops during World War I and currently the US army has started putting silver threads in their uniforms for bacteria and odor control.
• Prior to the introduction of antibiotics, Colloidal Silver was used widely in hospitals and has been known as a bactericide for at least 1200 years.
• In the early 1800s, doctors used silver sutures in surgical wounds with very successful results.
• In Ayurvedic medicine, silver is used in small amounts as a tonic, elixir or rejuvenative agent for patients debilitated by age or disease.
• Bed Bath and Beyond currently sells ionic silver sticks for use with their humidifiers to help eliminate bacteria growth in the humidifer.
• Hiking stores sell colloidal silver socks (which you can actually make yourself by spraying your socks with colloidal silver and letting them dry) for helping to prevent athletes foot.
I’ve used colloidal silver for a really nasty tooth infection that spread into my jaw and cheek with very quick results. And I keep this on hand now for both myself and my cat. (See my article on natural first aid kits for pets)
A note about colloidal silver: There is a big difference between colloidal silver and ionic silver. Many companies that claim to be selling colloidal silver are really selling ionic silver. The difference between silver ions and silver particles boils down to the fact that silver ions combine with chloride ions to form silver chloride and silver particles do not. Also ingestion of highly concentrated forms of ionic silver (100 ppm and above) may cause argyria, a permanent discoloration of the skin. True colloidal silver will not cause argyria. The best brand I’ve found and one that is true colloidal silver is the MesoSilver brand of colloidal silver.
To read more about colloidal silver and the differences you should know when deciding what brand to buy CLICK HERE
Essential Oils for Antibiotics
Certain 100% therapeutic grade essential oils also have VERY strong antibiotic properties…(quite a bit stronger than pencillin) This applies ONLY to therapeutic grade essential oils – not perfume grades or B grades.
AFNOR (French Association of Normalization) standards for therapeutic grade essential oils state the percentages of certain chemical constituents that must be present for an essential oil to qualify as true therapeutic grade.
As a general rule, if two or more marker compounds in an essential oil fall outside their proper percentages, the oil may not meet AFNOR standards.
Most of the essential oils made today are perfume grade and will NOT work in this application. Note: If you are going to use essential oils for therapeutic purposes you MUST use 100% Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils.
Here are the essential oils you can use for antibiotics:
The Most Powerful Essential Oils for Killing Respiratory Tract Germs When diffused:
Essential oils with the most killing power against 8 different strains of Helicobacter Pylori:
Consuming very small amounts of essential oils can attack infection from Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori), a common cause of stomach ulcers and even heart disease and cancer.
A concentration of just 0.002% Manuka or 0.004% Cinnamon Bark essential oils can wipe out several strains of Helicobacter pylori. Resistance of Helicobacter Pylori to Lemongrass did not develop even after 10 sequential passages, whereas resistance to clarithromycin developed under the same conditions. [T. Ohno, PhD, Kyoto Prefetural University of Medicine, Japan]
The most powerful anti-microbial essential oils:
Thyme - 55% Thymol – effective against e coli, salmonella and pneumonia. It also kills the organisms responsible for tooth decay, gingivitis and bad breath.
Clove - 80% Eugenol – kills more than 60 types of different bacteria. It’s also a powerful antioxidant and is anti-inflammatory.
Clove vs. Microbes:
Bacteria and fungi tend to cluster together in clusters called biofilms that serve as a powerful protective mechanism. Clove is one of the few natural compounds that can disrupt these biofilms. Eugenol disrupts biofilms.
Clove essential oil, and its primary constituent, eugenol, kill more than 60 types of bacteria,15 strains of fungi and several viruses. Eugenol strongly inhibits growth of HSVI and HSVII.
ORAC- Clove bud essential oil is the most powerful antioxidant known, according to USDA researchers at Tufts University, and has over a one million ORAC score.
Oregano - 60% Carvacrol – Carvacrol from oregano essential oil kills spores from anthrax, e coli and 25 different bacteria.
Penicillin vs. Oregano Essential Oil:
12 micro liters of oregano essential oil had the antibacterial equivalence of 10 units of penicillin. Traditional antibiotics kill the bacteria, but wipe out good bacteria that the body needs as well in the process. Oregano essential oil is effective against penicillin resistant diseases and is highly antibacterial and anti-microbial.
Eugenol from Clove essential oil, thymol from Thyme essential oil, and carvacrol from Oregano essential oil have been used in dentistry since the 19th century for root canals, temporary fillings and cements, periodontal therapy and abscesses. These oils are currently designated as GRAS by FDA.
From my own personal experience I have used a combination of Thyme and Oregano essential oils, putting a few drops into empty capsules and taking them 3-4 times per day, for food poisoning, bronchitis, tooth infection, and bladder infections and they have worked very well for me when I didn’t feel like taking prescription antibiotics.
Word of caution: Thyme and Oregano are incredibly hot oils and very strong DO NOT put drops directly in the mouth or it will burn, rather put the drops into an empty capsule (easily available at most health food stores and online) and take in capsule form.
PLEASE NOTE: The information in this article about essential oils is based solely on the use of 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils due to their high quality and tested purity. The use of a brand of uncertain quality and/or purity will provide you with potentially dangerous, if not lethal, results. The author assumes no responsibility for your improper use of this information.
Natural Painkillers and Anti-Inflammatories
For natural pain and inflammation relief Vitamin D3 combined with Omega-3 fish oil are two of the most potent anti-inflammatory agents known.
For a human adult 10,000 IU’s of Vitamin D combined with 2000 mg of Omega-3 fish oil achieve a superior (and safer) pain and anti-inflammatory effect. This natural anti-inflammation effect is stronger than prescription strength Vioxx or Motrin with none of the side effects.
Each year, the side effects of NSAID use cause nearly 103,000 hospitalizations and 16,500 deaths by some estimates in the U.S., according to a November, 2005 article in Medical News Today. Low dose aspirin use has similar effects according to a 2006 article studying hospital admissions in Spain.
Disclaimer: None of the information in this article is intended to constitute medical advice or treatment. For development of individual health issue treatments, it is advised that any person first consult a qualified health care provider. It is advised that he or she remain under the doctor’s supervision throughout any major health issues.
The author/owner of this website is not a licensed medical practitioner of any kind, is not providing medical advice and assumes no responsibility for your improper use of this information.
The statements in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Information contained within this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Here is some recommended reading:
Add Me as a Friend on Facebook CLICK HERE!