One of the major concerns with survival preparation is having extra supplies of medications and first aid items on hand. Stocking up on prescription medications necessitates having a doctor that will give you extra prescriptions….which you may or may not have access to.
If you find yourself in a situation where you do not have access to necessary pharmaceuticals it is easy to become panicked. The good news is that there are a lot of great alternatives to traditional medications that can be just as effective and quite a bit less toxic to your body than the traditional drugs your doctor has prescribed. I have used natural alternative medicine my entire life as a first resort and traditional medical treatment as a last resort and can say from multiple experiences these natural remedies really work!
This article is primarily about natural antibiotics, pain killers and anti-inflammatories.
Silver has been used For thousands of years as a healing agent by civilizations throughout the world. Its medical, preservative and restorative powers can be traced as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman Empires. Long before the development of modern pharmaceuticals, silver was employed as a germicide.
Consider these interesting facts:
• The Greeks used silver vessels to keep water and other liquids fresh. The writings of Herodotus, the Greek philosopher and historian, date the use of silver to before the birth of Christ.
• The Roman Empire stored wine in silver urns to prevent spoilage.
• The use of silver is mentioned in ancient Egyptian writings.
• In the Middle Ages, silverware protected the wealthy from the full brunt of the plague.
• Before the advent of modern germicides and antibiotics, it was known that disease-causing pathogens could not survive in the presence of silver. Consequently, silver was used in dishware, drinking vessels and eating utensils.
• In particular, the wealthy stored and ate their food from silver vessels to keep bacteria from growing.
• The Chinese emperors and their courts ate with silver chopsticks.
• The Druids have left evidence of their use of silver.
• Settlers in the Australian outback suspend silverware in their water tanks to retard spoilage.
• Pioneers trekking across the American West found that if they placed silver or copper coins in their casks of drinking water, it kept the water safe from bacteria, algae, etc.
• All along the frontier, silver dollars were put in milk to keep it fresh. Some of us remember our grandparents doing the same.
• Silver leaf was used to combat infection in wounds sustained by troops during World War I and currently the US army has started putting silver threads in their uniforms for bacteria and odor control.
• Prior to the introduction of antibiotics, Colloidal Silver was used widely in hospitals and has been known as a bactericide for at least 1200 years.
• In the early 1800s, doctors used silver sutures in surgical wounds with very successful results.
• In Ayurvedic medicine, silver is used in small amounts as a tonic, elixir or rejuvenative agent for patients debilitated by age or disease.
• Bed Bath and Beyond currently sells ionic silver sticks for use with their humidifiers to help eliminate bacteria growth in the humidifer.
• Hiking stores sell colloidal silver socks (which you can actually make yourself by spraying your socks with colloidal silver and letting them dry) for helping to prevent athletes foot.
I’ve used colloidal silver for a really nasty tooth infection that spread into my jaw and cheek with very quick results. And I keep this on hand now for both myself and my cat. (See my article on natural first aid kits for pets)
A note about colloidal silver: There is a big difference between colloidal silver and ionic silver. Many companies that claim to be selling colloidal silver are really selling ionic silver. The difference between silver ions and silver particles boils down to the fact that silver ions combine with chloride ions to form silver chloride and silver particles do not. Also ingestion of highly concentrated forms of ionic silver (100 ppm and above) may cause argyria, a permanent discoloration of the skin. True colloidal silver will not cause argyria. The best brand I’ve found and one that is true colloidal silver is the MesoSilver brand of colloidal silver.
To read more about colloidal silver and the differences you should know when deciding what brand to buy CLICK HERE
Natural Painkillers and Anti-Inflammatories
For natural pain and inflammation relief Vitamin D3 combined with Omega-3 fish oil are two of the most potent anti-inflammatory agents known.
For a human adult 10,000 IU’s of Vitamin D combined with 2000 mg of Omega-3 fish oil achieve a superior (and safer) pain and anti-inflammatory effect. This natural anti-inflammation effect is stronger than prescription strength Vioxx or Motrin with none of the side effects.
Each year, the side effects of NSAID use cause nearly 103,000 hospitalizations and 16,500 deaths by some estimates in the U.S., according to a November, 2005 article in Medical News Today. Low dose aspirin use has similar effects according to a 2006 article studying hospital admissions in Spain.
Disclaimer: None of the information in this article is intended to constitute medical advice or treatment. For development of individual health issue treatments, it is advised that any person first consult a qualified health care provider. It is advised that he or she remain under the doctor’s supervision throughout any major health issues.
The author/owner of this website is not a licensed medical practitioner of any kind, is not providing medical advice and assumes no responsibility for your improper use of this information.
The statements in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Information contained within this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Here is some recommended reading:
Add Me as a Friend on Facebook CLICK HERE!